I recently read a statistic about the fact American kids spend an average of 10 minutes playing outside a day. What a sad fact for our society. I remember being a child playing outside until all my skin was numb. With all of the indoor entrainment options available to us I find myself having to make a conscious effort to make sure my kids get outside in particular during the winter. I have complied a quick list of fun things to do outdoors this weekend with your kids. Most of them are quick and easy and cost little to nothing.
- Build a snow fort
- Make a snow man (then knock it down according to my 5 year old)
- Go to a play ground (no they don’t close in the winter)
- Go to a nature preserve and snowshoe (pull the really young ones in a sled)
- Go to a sledding hill
- Go downhill skiing
- Go ice-skating on an outdoor rink
- Ice fishing
- Go to a woods and look for animal tracks
- Have a campfire with smores and hot chocolate
- Cross country skiing
- Go Camping
- Go hunting for small game (assuming the season is still open)
- Shovel the driveway with your kids (it can actually be fun and as a bonus it is productive)
There you go! Now you have a list of 15 things to do outside this winter weekend with your kids. Pick one of them and get outside.